Quotes are one of the forms of explaining your thoughts in elegant words. They touch your heart. But some of the best quotes touch you. I felt these quotes reach in for me. Opinions are different for each individual but readers, they depend on their books for advice.
“Quotes are actually the shorter version of books. Wise and precise.” I wrote this quote now, for the quotes below arose a new feeling in me.
1. “Books are a uniquely portable magic.”
– Stephen King
2. “We read to know that we are not alone.”
– William Nicholson
3. “A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.”
– William Styron
4. “Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.”
– Sir Francis Bacon
5. “In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.”
– Mortimer J. Adler
6. “Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault. Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty. There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.”
– Oscar Wilde
7. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
– Dr. Seuss
8. “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.”
– George R.R. Martin
9. “Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin, another’s voice, another’s soul.”
– Joyce Carol Oates
10. “The world is a terrible place, cruel, pitiless, dark as a bad dream. Not a good place to live. Only in books can you find pity, comfort, happiness – and love. Books love anyone who open them, they give you security and friendship and don’t ask anything in return; they never go away, never, not even when you treat them badly.”
– Cornelia Funke,
(I slightly modified this quote to present tense for better insight.)
These quotes are not in order from the best to the average. As I quoted, quotes are similar to books. And no book has a fixed value. They are priceless treasures.