8 Reasons to Read Illuminae
1. The book is written in a file/dossier format using IMs, emails, reports and surveillance footage—the story is laid out in such a cool and fun way that it is hard not to love it. There are even actual coffee and blood stains on the reports!
2. It’s set in space, in the year 2575, in the middle of an interstellar war between two big companies
3. There are zombies, and psychotic little girls that drag around people’s hearts
4. There’s a mad Artificial Intelligence computer, AIDAN, that believes it is doing the right thing
5. Kady and Ezra: they are funny and brave and have the sweetest moments
6. There were no boring moments and every page was packed with action and funny parts and feels. Lots of feels!
7. Kady is a hacker with an IQ of 147! She is a freaking genius. When do you ever see that in books? This book, along with the characters, kicks ass.
8. I will be re-reading this a lot. This is the best book I have read this year (sorry Throne of Glass!) and also one of the best science fiction (second only to The 5th Wave)
Just read it. I promise YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Fucking brilliant. BRILLIANT. (Brilliant is synonymous to illumine 🙂 ) Like I don’t even know how to explain the feels, but if I sum it up in a sentence: shit goes down. This might be my most favorite book of the year.
The weird formatting and the way this book is written is what caught my eye first, but this book is better than that. The plot is fresh and original and it is nothing like I have ever read. I like how so much effort was put in to make this book as realistic as possible.
Ezra and Kady are such great characters. He is a quirky and bright character while she is smart and sassy. And sarcastic. Their romance is enveloping; I had not planned on connecting with these characters on a personal level but their story is beautiful. Kady is all “I will go down with this ship”, while Ezra is just fighting to keep himself alive for Kady.
I loved all the characters so, so much. I’d love to be best friends with Kady and Ezra, but my most favourite character in the book is AIDAN. Why? You need to read the book to find out why I say a mad computer is the best. He (she/it?) just is.
I am all around her, silent in my vigil. Rows of servers and cables and flickering lights.
This is my center. The heart of me. And in it now she resides, filling the air with her grief.
Before this moment, I have never wished to be something other than what I am. Never felt so keenly the lack of hands with which to touch, the lack of arms with which to hold.
Why did they give me this sense of self? Why allow me the intellect by which to measure this complete inadequacy? I would rather be numb than stand here in the light of a sun that can never chase the chill away.
It was so hard to put this book down, soon I gave up even trying and put all my time into reading this, because damn, Illuminae is out of this world. Literally. I just can’t say enough about this book except that it is worth reading. Each page was like a shock to me and before I had even absorbed that, a new shock wave rolled on. There is a lot going on!
I definitely, definitely recommend this book. Ezra and Kady were an amazing couple, but I enjoyed the story as a whole more than the romance. And it’s part of a trilogy? Bring it on.